Creating images for each blog post and podcast episode is a great way to make your content stand out and be more shareable. This tutorial will teach you guidelines for finding the right image you can use in various contexts and different social networks.
I recommend that you make four images for your posts or episodes:
- Square with text for episode cover art and sharing to Instagram or other square-image-based networks.
- Wide (16:9 ratio) image with text for the top of your post and embedding to share on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and other wide-image networks or video poster images.
- Tall (2:3 ratio) with text for sharing to Pinterest.
- Square without text for thumbnail uses that are too small for text or have elements (like a play button) placed over them.
- Adobe Spark Post is easy for creating images from your browser or mobile device. It also also has a built-in image search!
- “Ideal Image Sizes for Your Social Media Posts: Guidelines for All 6 Major Social Networks”
- LibreStock searches a bunch of free stock-photography websites (make sure you double-check the permissions, especially if you want to use the image for a commercial podcast).
- Social Warfare is my favorite WordPress plugin for social sharing. It will let you attach the wide image and tall image for the appropriate networks.
- Yoast SEO also allows you to add images for some specific social networks.
- Buffer, Later, and Hootsuite make it easy to upload an image from your computer to post to Instagram from your mobile device.